It could be dirty, it could be rusty, or it could be a hideous color. Even if the cast-iron bed frame you’ve found at a garage sale or flea market suffers from all three afflictions, you’re going to be mightily surprised by how a few coats of spray paint will transform the bed frame into a thing of renewed beauty. As with most painting projects, the devil lies in the details of the important prep work that must be done to ensure a good and lasting paint finish.
Set up the cast-iron bed on a large drop cloth, preferably spread on the grass. Wait for a sunny day with little to no wind. You probably will have to circle the bed frame with the paint and therefore will want to reduce overspray.
Remove any rust from the bed with a wire brush. Use an old toothbrush for tiny, narrow or awkward spaces.
Sand the cast-iron bed with low-grit sandpaper. If the process proves difficult, move up to a medium-grit sandpaper. Tackle tight spots by wrapping a piece of sandpaper around an old toothbrush and securing it at the base with a rubber band.
Wash the bed frame with warm, sudsy water and a soft sponge. Let it dry in the sun or wipe it dry with a clean cloth.
Put on a pair of plastic gloves. Apply one thin coat of primer to the bed. Work from top to bottom and left to right at a spray distance of about 8 to 10 inches. The primer will serve as a bonding agent between the cast iron and the paint to follow, so don’t skip this important step. Let the primer dry.
Apply the first coat of spray paint to the bed. Keep your hand moving slowly and steadily rather than stopping to “force” paint onto one area of the frame. Remember that it’s better to apply two light coats of spray paint than one heavy coat; plus, the second coat tends to go on cleanly and easily. Stop spray painting occasionally — such as at key junctures — to shake the can of spray paint to keep the paint flowing.
Allow the paint to dry completely and then apply a second coat. Apply a coat of protective spray varnish, if you like.
Things You Will Need
- Drop cloth
- Wire brush
- Old toothbrush
- Low-grit sandpaper
- Mild detergent
- Soft sponge
- Clean cloth
- Plastic gloves
- Spray primer (formulated for iron)
- Spray paint (formulated for iron)
- Consider a matte, or flat, finish spray paint for your cast-iron bed; even a slight sheen may make it look unnatural.
- Full sized, complete bedframe with headboard and footboard, support slats included
- Available in White or Black with adjustable base height 7" or 11"
- Bed can be used with or without a foundation
- Headboard and footboard made with sturdy metal frame
- Metal side rails, metal slats and center metal rail guarantee stability and durability
- HIGH-QUALITY METAL MATERAL:Metal bed frame with headboard and footboard.They use strong metal frames to make metal side rails and metal strips to ensure they are more secure, stable, and durable
- MODERN SIMPLIFIED DESIGN:The queen size black bed frame outer dimensions:83"(L)x60"(W))X42.5"(H), suitable mattress size: 60"x80",12.8" height from the floor for under-bed storage space
- NO QUAKING :With storage iron slats ,users can change or adapt to any box springs, turn over without noise, and enjoy good night's sleep
- STRONG BEARING CAPACITY:the iron frame completes the mattress support.Robust ribbed structure, strong and sturdy, more durable, super heavy bearing is not easy to deform
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE BEDS FRAME:Strong package, all parts of a bed frame included, no tools needed. Put all the parts in the right place and tighten all the screws to complete the assembly
- King internal-mattress opening: 81.5 inches long x 78 inches wide
- King (overall): 53.27 inches high x 86.14 inches long x 81.46 inches wide
- Set includes one (1) headboard, one (1) footboard, one (1) set of rails, three (3) slats
- Mattress and box spring required, but not included
- Full sized complete bed constructed of Carbon Steel with a Hammered Brown finish
- 56” Headboard and 37.75” footboard features clean intersections of the vertical and horizontal elements to reveal a decidedly masculine profile
- Steel bed frame provides full support to your mattress and box spring
- Bed measures 56" (H) x 55.5" (W) x 84" (L)
- Protected with a 10-year limited warranty against manufacturing defects
- Set includes: One (1) Headboard, One (1) Footboard, One (1) Set of Rails, Three (3) Metal Slats * Constructed of sturdy iron for years of lasting use
- Antique bronze finish with one set of black rails offers a cool vintage look * Designed for use with a boxspring
- Beautiful curved design is sure to complement a variety of decor * Finish: Antique dark bronze * Materials: Metal
You can try find out more about
How to Spray Paint Iron Bed