Watermelon Hard Candy Recipe. Our neighbors used to always make this for us around Christmas time.
Makes approx. 40 pieces
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. water
- food coloring
- fruit-flavored essence (or oil)–flavor of your choice (you can find this at Michael’s, JoAnn’s, or other cooking/baking stores)
- Place parchment paper into a small pan (I used my 7″x5″ one)
- Place sugar and water into a saucepan. Bring to soft boil, stirring constantly.
- Cover and allow to boil for 3-5 minutes. Remove cover and place thermometer into saucepan. Do not stir anymore at this point. When it reaches 310 degrees, remove from heat.
- Allow the mix to sit for 30 seconds-1 minute. Place a couple of drops of coloring and essence/oil and stir. Pour into parchment-lined pan. Let it cool briefly for 4 minutes (you want the candy harden a little but still soft so you can cut through it).
- Using kitchen scissors, cut into desired shapes. Dust with powdered sugar (this keeps from the candy from sticking together).