I finished my quiet book on Friday night. It turned out really cute and my kids love it. I’ve already test-drove it at a restaurant! My mom, my 13 year old sister, 10 year old daughter and 4 year old niece and I went out for a girls lunch so I brought the book along. It kept ALL of us busy! I incorporated some fun game pages (tic tac toe and Hangman) that the older girls loved (me included) and the 4 year old loved the farm page. The only change I might make the next time around is to not actually bind it into a book. The only reason I say that is it would be nice for the older girls to play with the tic tac toe page while the younger one can play with another page. My idea would be to create pages and then create a closable “book” encasement to hold them all together. So my tic tac toe page would have an envelope on the back so it is one contained page. Make sense?
I must say it really wasn’t as time-consuming as I thought it would be… but as I said here, I went into the project knowing it wasn’t going to be perfect and being OK with that. The next book I do I will take a bit more time and add some detail… maybe some button and snap action for my younger two. I even took a short-cut with the cover and used puff-paint. Alright, enough blabbering, here is the result:
As you can see I made it all out of felt. The pages are 8″x8″… to make it even easier I would recommend 9×9 since the felt is 9″ wide you would just have to cut off 3″ of length.
After creating all the separate pages I sewed two together along the edge, wrong sides together. Once I had all the pages sewed together, but not yet bound into the book I did the following: Cut a piece of felt about 6 inchs wide and 8 inches long. I lined it up with the left edge of the cover and sewed a straight line down. (the blue is the front cover, the pink is the spine).
Now flip it over and do the same with the back cover – see image to see how to line up (you want the seam to be hidden).
Set this aside and take your first two pages. Sew them together down the left side. Do this again for the next two pages and so on.
Now it is time to bind into a book. The spine is too thick for the machine, so get out your needle and thread.
It is hard to describe how I did the spine, but I placed the pages into the book and then folded the spine down and around the pages. Make sure the page edges and cover edges are all lined up on the left and then just sew down the length of the book.
That’s it! You’re done. To make the finger puppets all I did was cut the shape I wanted and then sewed them shut. No flipping inside out or anything. Very simple, very easy. I then hotglued on the faces and, for the cow, the spots. Took about 1 minute each! I may even endeavor to make a more detailed book, but for now, the kids love this one and don’t care that everything isn’t perfect. I received tons of comments in the restaurant and my SIL has already mentioned how her kids would love one.
- IT'S SO MUCH FUN! Kids just LOVE playing with this interactive, day in the life experience fabric book. My Big Day activity book helps kids improve their fine motor skills and reach key developmental milestones
- LET THEM LOOSE with 10 bright, fun yet challenging pages: They're sure to enjoy so many skills with this fabric busy book, from learning to tell the time, brushing teeth, shoelace tying, getting dressed, choosing food, color matching, learning numbers, buttoning, buckling, zipping and so many more delightful activities. Book measures 10" high x 8" wide
- PERFECTLY SOFT YET REASSURINGLY HARDWEARING. Produced from tough wearing cotton, soft touch felt and interactive accessories; this hand-crafted book is soft yet highly durable. FULLY ZIPS CLOSED with carry handles for portability. Need extra or spare felt pieces for My Big Day? No problem, simply search for ASIN B072NGTT6S on Amazon to buy.
- THE IDEAL TRAVEL BUDDY. Perfect for keeping kids busily entertained this holiday season as a car seat toy on long journeys, plane rides, train journeys, on the bus, at the airport, the station, during church services, weddings, in doctor waiting rooms or any public place
- WHY NOT BUY TODAY My Big Day is perfect for your own kids or as a creative, special unique gift. Beautifully boxed gift for 3 to 6 year old grandchildren, as a Christmas gift, a new big brother or new big sister gift or simply for your own children. Stringently LAB TESTED to meet or exceed US toy safety standards offering extra peace of mind
- Premium construction make this the best Quiet Book ever; sturdy fabrics, detailed embroidered applique; built to last and be handed down from child to child
- Learning activities include basic dressing skills: working with simple buttons, zippers, snaps, laces, and buckles; your child will develop the techniques and dexterity necessary to master these common fasteners
- Other interactive elements include telling time, recognizing colors and shapes, and counting; even simple titles on each page will provide early alphabet training
- Your child will love exploring this early learning activity book as he develops self confidence with basic clothing fasteners
- Recommended for children 12 months old and up
- THERE'S NOTHING ELSE QUITE LIKE IT: When I Grow Up encourages children to find their talents and passions through the world of make believe and role play. Children can turn their hands to future pursuits including home building, fire fighting, creative arts or even space travel!
- HELP REACH DEVELOPMENTAL MILESTONES. Learn through interactive play, visual stimulation and tactile sensation. Some of the skills your little one can master include buckles, zips, snaps, looping, velcro'ing and buttoning developing sensory, fine motor skills and pretend play
- DURABLE AND HARD WEARING. Produced from cotton, soft touch felt and includes interactive accessories. This hand-crafted book is soft yet highly durable. FULLY ZIPS CLOSED with carry handles for portability. Book measures 10" high x 8" wide
- IDEAL FOR TRAVEL. Also perfect for any place children seek entertainment including a car seat toy on long journeys, plane rides, train journeys, on the bus, at the airport, the station, church services, weddings, christenings, in doctor or hospital waiting rooms, holidays and so many other occasions
- WHY NOT BUY TODAY in time for Christmas. When I Grow Up is perfect for your own kids, or make a special unique, handcrafted gift for grandkids, nephews, nieces or God children. It's perfect for children aged 3 to six years and arrives in a very smart, giftable box
- TETHERED PIECES - All pieces are tethered to the book to reduce worry over lost pieces.
- INTERACTIVE PLAY - Soft interactive pages keep children busy while increasing motor skills and cognitive learning.
- EASY TO TRAVEL WITH - Zippered interactive cloth book with padded handles makes take-along easy.
- HANDMADE FOR OVER 30 YEARS - As one of the first classic handmade quiet books to enter the market over 30 years ago, the original My Quiet Book by Pockets of Learning is now being enjoyed by a second generation. My Quiet Book is still handmade in the same manner as the original book that was introduced 30 years ago.
- ✔️ ALL PIECES TETHERED TO THE BOOK - No more losing parts! With handmade high-quality sewing and neat stitching, the pieces are tethered to the quiet toy to avoid loss. This educational soft book is a pleasant baby book touch and feel, yet durable and sturdy. Each fabric book page comes with exciting images and bright, vibrant colors that will get your toddler's brain cogs turning.
- ✔️ IDEAL TRAVEL TOYS - Full of fun challenges this car seat travel toy for toddlers will keep your kid busy on long journeys. Filled with entertaining travel airplane activities, easy to carry and even easier to wash using the BONUS BAG after exploring the world. Also, the felt busy book is highly effective to eliminate boredom and release creativity and imagination in quiet on waiting rooms, restaurant, hospital and doctor's office or even as church toys.
- ✔️ IDEAS FOR KIDS GIFT LIST - Birthday gift or not, Grandparents just love to pass this timeless toy to the next generation as one of the best pre k - preschool learning toys - Some of our customers find it suitable for homeschool education and daycare learning toys for 1 2 3 4 year olds and older. Helps develop language & reading skills, communication skills, visual memory, sensory skills when using as autism toys.
- ✔️ BE A SMARTER PARENT FOR YOUR CHILD - Machine washable, the deMoca soft activity book comes with a zippered washing bag to keep it always clean, retaining its shape and quality. Also accompanied by an ask my buddy Digital Guide on making the best choices for your children. Packed with games and valuable advice on how to support your child curiosity, you will unleash his or her creativity. Enjoy the quiet time for you and for your child!
- ✔️ TEACH YOUR CHILD BASIC LIFE SKILLS - Basic Montessori principles, the 9 hands-on interactive activities help kids natural learning through play. So, you can assist your lovely child telling time together while teaching clock. Encouraging toy for boys and girls to develop hand-eye coordination and dexterity with this shoe tying teaching kit. Or just give them quiet time to focus on color matching the velcro shapes, to practice on buckles, zip snap and buttons and improves their dressing skills
- Baby clothes book, the fabric book is designed to stimulate important key skills, like motor skills, cognitive skills, imagination, sensory skills, dressing skills, hand eye coordination, problem solving and so on
- 7 * Basic Skill Board - skill pieces include: buckling, recognizing color and shape, buttoning, tie , telling time, and zipping, the soft baby book is educational toy for preschool teaching aids,home educational tools
- Washable fabrics is soft and great to touch, bright contrasting colors hold your baby's attention even longer, durable pages even last for the toughest baby
- Developed in conjunction with developmental experts, each page has something different to explore, discovering new things is an adventure, perfect for infants to toddlers from six-months plus, it gives your child endless hours of fun
- Best gift: our soft fabric books are absolutely non-toxic and safe for your baby, the stitching is strong for extra durability, and it holds up in the wash after getting spit up
- QUIET BOOK - Helps to keep your kids quiet and reverent at Church or home
- OLD TESTAMENT - Teach your kids bible lessons while they are young
- SOFT TOUCH - Great to hold and even cuddle
- BIBLE - Start kids learning about the bible with a soft touch.
- GREAT GIFT - Amazing gift for kids of all ages (Recommended 2-3 yrs or older)
- An excellent production for babies under 4 years old which can help them to learn in a fantastic and funny way .
- Made of polyester instead of paper . Babies will not be able to tear the books up any more .
- Put life skills into cartoon stories . Children will not feel boring and will love learning in this way.
- Instead of paper ,soft books will be more suitable for babies as it is soft ,babies will not get hurt no matter which way they play with the book.
- It also can be used as a toy which can help babies to sleep and babies will enjoy playing with the books.
- HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT for your little ones. Toddlers and kids can play all afternoon with the interactive activities that improve comprehension and encourage learning.
- PLENTY OF VARIETY with 7 bright, engaging different activities to choose from, including using buttons, snaps, beads, threads, zippers, colors, and shapes.
- ENCOURAGE THE DEVELOPMENT of fine motor skills with real-world activities such as tying shoes, unzipping pockets, and matching colors, sizes, and shapes. Give your toddler a head start with this amazing activity book!
- MADE OF SOFT, DURABLE MATERIALS including double-stitched cotton fabric to prevent easy wear and tear. A PVC window on the front page leaves space for a photo of mommy and me, and a pouch on the back is perfect for storing some of the book's Velcro pieces.
- SAFE, QUIET, AND FUN entertainment for your little one. Keeps them busy during long plane rides or car trips, or at weddings, restaurants, or doctor's office waiting rooms. The ideal quiet time activity!
- Children love placing each of the 8 animals in their proper homes and role playing with each in their respective activities.
- Designed to grow with your child as they develop fine motor skills, learn to identify the animals, sound out the animal names and eventually learn to read simple words.
- For over 30 years, Pockets of Learning has developed educational toys with a focus on quality, durability and play value intended to last for generations.
- Replacement pieces are available if pieces are lost.
You can try find out more about
binding for a felt quiet book