The cake is light, fluffy, and soft, and the icing is a luscious combination of extra smooth coffee and cocoa, buttery but not greasy. To get the authentic taste, you will need to use Nescafe coffee granules. You can also use espresso granules (= coffee taste is bolder and more pronounced) or Starbucks VIA Italian roast (=icing has bitter and sour notes), but it’s up to you if you want to use what you have available. You will also need amaretto, an Italian almond liqueur to finish off the flavor and must not be skipped. I’ve never tried to substitute it with anything, so I cannot advise you on that for now. I’ll try making this with almond extract next time and see if that can be used!
The recipe can be made into a two-layer 9-inch round cake or a roll. I’ve included instructions for the roll in the recipe Notes if you want to take a stab at it.
For the Cake:
- 6 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coffee/espresso granules [Nescafe instant coffee recommended]
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the Mocha Buttercream
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, soft, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon coffee/espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 5 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 teaspoons amaretto
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT: hand mixer or stand mixer, 2 9”x2” cake pans, 2 baking sheets, parchment paper cake comb (optional, for decoration); OR a 10.5”x15.5”x1” jelly roll pan if making a roll
1. For the Cake: Preheat oven to 375°F with racks in the upper middle and lower middle positions. Spray two 9”x2” round cake pans with baking spray, and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer) over low, then medium speed, until creamy and light yellow in color.
3. Dissolve espresso or coffee granules and cocoa powder in water and vanilla in a small bowl, getting rid of lumps while stirring. Pour into the butter-sugar paste, along with canola oil, and beat until well combined.
4. Remove large bowl from stand mixer (if using one) and sift cake flour and baking powder over it. Stir with a wooden spoon until well blended, scraping the sides of the bowl once.
5. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar into stiff peaks in a medium bowl, and fold into the mocha batter, a dollop or two first to liquefy the thick batter, and then in thirds.
6. Divide the batter between two cake pans and place each pan on a baking sheet. Bake on two racks for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pans and exchanging the pans between racks halfway through. The cake is done when the tops become golden brown and the cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
7. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then carefully turn over on the wire rack, right side up. Cool completely before icing.
8. For the Buttercream: Whisk sugar and egg whites for 3 to 5 minutes in a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (water should not touch the bottom of the bowl), until meringue is hot to the touch. The sugar granules will be dissolved and you will be left with a fluffy marshmallow cream-like froth.
9. Remove bowl from heat and beat for 5 minutes with a hand mixer set to medium speed, or pour into a bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment to mix.
10. Add half of the butter and beat with a hand mixer (or paddle attachment for stand mixer) until smooth before adding the next half to combine. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and give it a quick stir. Beat again on medium-high for another 6 to 10 minutes to thicken.
11. Dissolve cocoa and espresso/coffee granules in water, vanilla extract, and amaretto in a small bowl. Pour into the buttercream and beat for 2 minutes, scraping the sides at least once.
12. To Assemble the Cake: Dot 3 3”-wide parchment paper strips with buttercream. Use the icing to stick the 3 strips into a triangle on a plate or cake stand. Dot the center bottom of the cake with icing, and place cake on top of the strips. These will keep your plate clean while frosting the cake.
13. Spoon about ½ cup of frosting on top and spread it evenly with a flat metal spatula. Place the second layer of cake and spread a thin layer of icing over the entire cake and let it stand for 15 minutes. Spread a thicker layer of frosting over the side, working from the bottom up to the top. Frost the top by placing a mound of icing and spreading it to the side. You can decorate the cake with the remaining frosting as you wish.
1. To decorate: You can use a cake comb to create ridges on the side of the cake. The traditional Goldilocks mocha roll and cake are decorated using a cake comb. I added finely grated chocolate at the top.
2. To make a mocha roll: From Step 6 onwards — Pour batter into a 10.5”x15.5”x1” jelly roll pan (sprayed with cooking spray and lined with a sheet of wax paper, and another coat of cooking spray) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes with the rack on upper middle position, rotating the pan halfway through. What I usually do is bake for 6 minutes and rotate and add minutes as needed to let it bake thoroughly. It is done when the top is golden brown and cake tester will come out clean. Lay flat a dry kitchen/tea towel that’s slightly larger than the pan and dust with a thin layer of powdered sugar. Remove cake from the oven and turn pan over onto the towel. Carefully peel the wax paper and scooping the towel from underneath, slowly roll the towel and cake together. Cool on a wire rack with the seam side down. After about an hour, unroll and remove the towel, spread a generous layer of mocha buttercream. Depending on your preference, you can put as much as half on it. Re-roll the cake and frost the outside and sides. OR you can use the other half of the icing to fill another roll. [Instructions to make the butter cream is the same.]
- SIMPLY DELICIOUS Our microwave cakes are an amazingly moist, mouth-watering treat that will delight your sweet tooth; all with no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
- QUICK AND CONVENIENT Just grab a mug, add water (or other liquid, like milk or coffee!) mix, microwave for about a minute, and enjoy a warm bite of dessert heaven.
- THE PERFECT SIZE FOR 1 Our individual mug desserts are ideal for a quick snack or for individual desserts. They're made for just one, so, unlike other mixes, you won't have to worry about waste.
- SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE With 12 dessert flavors, there is sure to be a treat to fit everyone's taste. No more arguing about what to make, now everyone can have exactly what they want.
- CUSTOMIZATION IS FUN These mug cakes are just the right size for personalizing and making your own. Try multiple toppings or different mix-ins, like milk, fruit juice or even liqueurs to create your own unique recipe!
- Subscription snack guru Graze wants you to have your cake and eat it too with this nutritious and sweet snack, perfect for satisfying your "cake and coffee" cravings
- This deconstructed classic features crunchy whole walnuts, sweet jumbo raisins, and real coffee beans coated in Belgian milk chocolate
- Walnuts are one of the leading superfoods available, providing a convenient and delicious source of omega-3's
- Keep this portable pack in your bag or purse and satisfy your cravings anytime, anywhere - this snack is perfect with a cup of coffee
- Only wholesome ingredients, no HFCS, GMO ingredients, preservatives, artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners, 1.1oz portable, single serve recyclable box, 9 Pack
- Contains mocha cupcake mix, latte frosting mix, fudge topping, dry roasted almonds, cherry sours candies, piping bag and jumbo star decorating tip
- Makes 8 cupcakes
- Cupcake kit inspired by ice cream!
- Net weight 11 oz.
- Made in the USA
- Mocha Flavor for Baking, Beverages & Ice Cream
- Gluten & Sugar Free
- All Natural
- Features the unique sweetness of caramel, vanilla and toasted coconut flavors
- Made from specialty grade, certified Kosher Arabica coffee beans
- Single-serving packaging means no mess or wasted pots of coffee; for use with Keurig brewers
- Made from the top 1-5% of Arabica beans from coffee growing regions around the world and roasted in Canada
- Each box contains 24 K-Cups plus you get 2 Organic Green Tea Bags!
- Mocha Flavor for Baking, Beverages & Ice Cream
- Gluten & Sugar Free
- All Natural
- Store in a cool dry place.
- Contains Gluten, May Contain Lactose, Contains Soya, May Contain Milk, Contains Oats
- *Please not Best Before/Expiration UK is DD/MM/YYYY
- 10 cup Delicious 2.0 compatible CHOCOLATE Bliss Coffee Sampler! Coconut Fudge, Chocolate Fudge Cake, Choconut+
- PLEASE NOTE- These are mainly COFFEE cups and 1 cocoa, not all cocoa, please read the description before purchasing. 10 cup Delicious CHOCOLATE Bliss Sampler! Single serve cups you may receive (substitutions possible)- Hurricane Coconut Fudge.... Authentic Donut shop chocolate chip cookie.... Cake Boss Chocolate Cannoli.....Cake Boss Chocolate Fudge Cake.....BBFudge..... Martinson Mint n Mocha..... Guy Fieri Hot Fudge Brownie ....Grove Square Cocoa(or other cocoa).... Java Factory Choconut
- 10 Single Serve Cups for use in Single serve brewers such as Keurig & Mr. Coffee Now 2.0 compatible!.
- Coffee Single serve cups are not sweetened, you must add your own blend of sweeteners and cream to make your dream cup! Single Serve cups are for use in Single Serve Brewers.
- Box style and size may vary from what is pictured.
- 50 Cup Super Variety Sampler! Coffee...Tea...Cocoa...Decaf... Not guaranteed all pictured or listed , substitutions possible.
- Your 50 cup super sampler containsa mix of Coffee, Flavored Coffee, Decaf, Hot Chocolate & Tea Single Serve Cups/ All cups are 2.0 compatibnle
- Guaranteed at least 30 unique varieties, usually more! This is a handpicked sampler, this will be shipped loose in a shipping box, NOT in manufacturers original packaging.
- Coffee Single serve cups are not sweetened, you must add your own blend of sweeteners and cream to make your dream cup!
- 2.0 compatible. Box style and size may vary from what is pictured.
- Guaranteed to have your guests asking for more! This decadent dessert assortment consists of the following 3 delicious flavors: strawberry and pistachio, mocha coffee with cookie crumble and milk chocolate with coconut.
- Resort & Caterer's Quality Desserts.
- We offer freshly prepared hand-threaded frozen snacks with great quality and quantity. AppetizersUSA is consistent about Quality, great taste, convenience and value.
- AppetizersUSA offers delicious hand-crafted appetizers which are ideal for retail customers, personal entertaining, caterers, chefs, foodservice, hospitality and more!
- SHIPPING DISCOUNTS - Order above $95 & Get 20% off on Shipping Charges; Order above $125 & Get 30% off on Shipping Charges; Order above $200 & Get 40% off on Shipping Charges; Order above $450 & Get 65% off on Shipping Charges; Order above $650 & Get Free Shipping!
- 30-count - NEW Flavor Coffee Variety Pack for Keurig® 2.0 Brewers - Featuring French Vanilla, Mocha Nut Fudge, Blueberry Cobbler, Cinnamon Coffee Cake, Super Fudge, Vanilla Biscotti, Caramel Drizzle, Hawaiian Hazelnut, Jamaica Me Crazy, Caramel Cappy!!
- The most popular Keurig® 2.0 flavors in 1 pack
- ALL cups have 2.0 ring on lid for brewing! 10 flavors, 3 cups each.
- Keurig® 2.0 Compatible and all other Keurig® brewers
- Shipped in packaging similar to shown
- 0 Calories & 0 Sugar
- Just pump our sugar free whipped foam topping to enjoy a barista style beverage without the fuss
- Add a burst of Mocha flavor to the top of your favorite coffees, hot chocolates, cappuccinos, espressos or frappes
- Gluten Free and Kosher
- Made in the USA. No refrigeration required.
- Contains 2 - 3 oz easy-open jars
- Ground, brewed, then dried from specially selected coffee beans
- Readily dissolves for easy mixing
- Chocolate's best friend. Use 1/2 to 2 teaspoons in any baked good to enhance chocolate flavor.
- King Arthur Flour is the country's oldest flour company and 100% Employee-Owned
- Product of the Philippines
- Lucious Mocca Flavors, wrapped in a light, delectable sponge cake.
- Unscramble the cake letters to make real words.
- Fun and challenging word game.
- Test your spelling and concentration skills.
- THE LABEL SAYS IT ALL: We use NON-GMO Ultra Micro-filtered Whey Isolate with Natural Flavors and sweeten with Stevia for the cleanest whey protein powder on the market and the best tasting whey protein.
- BUILD LEAN MUSCLE: Whey protein helps turn on protein synthesis, the process that jump starts building new muscle. More muscle means a faster metabolism and a faster metabolism means more calories burned!
- GENUINELY DELICIOUS: We believe that our Whey Protein is the best tasting protein on the planet. TRY ABOUT TIME'S Whey Protein Isolate powder, and you will be a fan for life! Each serving provides 25g of Protein, 100 Calories Per Serving, Zero Sugar, No Artificial Hormones, No Growth Hormones, and non-GMO Ingredients.
- FREE OF JUNK: We know that the quality of what you put into your body matters to you, and it matters to us. You can rest assured knowing that About Time Isolate Powder is non-GMO and contains no gluten, fat, cholesterol, sugar, or aspartame.
- EASY TO MIX, NO CLUMPS, NO FOAM: Mix instantly on-the-go in a shaker bottle or use in your favorite smoothie recipe. Perfect for breakfast smoothies, a healthy protein-packed snack, or refueling post-workout shake.
- Sweetened with stevia^Cold processed, micro filtered 100% whey protein isolate^25 grams of protein per serving
You can try find out more about