A goldendoodle is a wonderful dog breed that is a crossbreed of a poodle and a golden retriever. It has a coat that is a unique mix of the two breeds, with loose curls and a slightly shaggy look. To care for this coat, you need to groom the dog regularly. To groom it properly you should clean the entire dog, cut its coat, trim its nails, and clean its ears and teeth. This will keep the dog looking good and will ensure that it is a clean and healthy member of your family.
Cleaning the Goldendoodle
Brush the dog.
To begin cleaning your goldendoodle you should give its coat a good brushing. This will untangle its fur and remove any debris that may be embedded in its coat.
Remove knots and tangles with a clipper.
- Goldendoodles should be brushed on a regular basis. Try to brush it every day to keep its coat mat free.Use a slicker brush to brush your goldendoodle. These brushes work well with a goldendoodle’s coat and are available at most pet supply stores.
Start clipping the goldendoodle’s coat by moving the clipper out to areas that could not be combed through. In addition to eliminating unsightly areas on the coat, removing mats and tangles will allow you to comb through the coat as you clip it.
Bathe the goldendoodle.
- Get a pair of clippers that are designed for grooming dogs as well as a grooming comb that clips onto the end of the clippers. They will cut through the dog’s fur quickly and effectively. Grooming clippers are generally sold at large pet stores and from online retailers.Do not use grooming scissors on your Goldendoodle. Scissors can accidentally cut and injure the dog. Only professionals should use scissors on dogs.
Prepare a warm bath and put your dog in it. Scrub its coat clean with dog shampoo and then rinse it out thoroughly. This will allow you to really determine the state of the dog’s coat and to handle a clean dog while you are cutting its fur.
Dry the dog’s coat.
- Dog shampoo is available at pet stores and from online retailers.Don’t use shampoo that is made for humans. Dog shampoo is formulated specifically for dogs and will not strip the natural oils from their fur and skin.
Once the dog is clean you should dry its coat before trimming it. Having a dry coat while trimming the coat is important so that you can assess the length of fur you want while you are doing the trimming. A wet coat tends to shrink and will not allow you to judge what the final product will look like while you are trimming.
- Rub the dog with a towel to get most of the moisture out of its coat. Then allow the dog to shake itself off and let the coat air dry.When drying your dog you should also be sure to dry the dog’s ears. Goldendoodles tend to get ear infections easily, so drying their ears is important.
Trimming the Goldendoodle’s Head
Trim the fur on your dog’s ears with clippers.
In order to be precise with your cuts and to deal with the flexibility of the ear, you should find some grooming clippers to use on your dog’s ears.
Trim away fur blocking the ear canal.
- The fur on the outside of the ear should be trimmed to a uniform length. Typically this is around 1 inch (2.5 cm) long.
Trim the fur around the entrance to the ears to a short length. It should be short enough so that the dog’s fur doesn’t cover the entrance to its ears. Trimming this fur short can help your dog’s hearing and will increase air circulation in the ear, which can cut down on the chance of ear infections.
Trim fur on the dog’s face.
- Never put the clippers inside of the dog’s ear or you may accidentally injure your dog.
In order for your goldendoodle to see, you should keep the fur in front of its eyes trimmed. Use clippers to trim around the eyes. You may also want to thin the fur between the eyes with thinning shears so that the fur in this area does not get very thick.
Trim the fur on the muzzle.
- Be careful when trimming the fur around the eyes. Make sure your dog is calm and not moving before attempting to use clippers around that area of fur so that you don’t accidentally injure its eyes.
The top of a goldendoodle’s muzzle can get thick and puffy, so it should be trimmed down. However, keep the sides of the muzzle longer than the top and bottom. The length of the top and sides of the muzzle are up to you but make sure that the fur on the side of the muzzle is short enough so that it doesn’t get in the dog’s mouth.
Trim the rest of the dog’s head.
Begin trimming the fur on the back of the dog’s head with dog grooming clippers. As you move the clippers down the dog’s neck, transition the length to the length you want on the rest of the dog’s body.
- The length of fur on the dog’s head and body may be the same length or the fur on the head might be slightly longer. This is purely based on personal preference.
Trimming the Goldendoodle’s Body
Clip the majority of the dog’s whole body with clippers.
Using dog clippers with a 1 inch (2.5 cm) guard on them, clip the entirety of the dog’s body. Be sure to thoroughly clip the large areas, such as the back, by going over them several times.
Trim the fur on the feet shorter than the rest of the body.
- Also be sure to clip all of the little areas, such as around the base of the legs and hind legs.With the clipper guard on you should be able to keep the length of the coat uniform as long as the dog stays still.
The fur on a goldendoodle’s feet is typically cut shorter than the rest of the dog’s body. This will allow you to keep its paws cleaner and will give them a tidy look.
Trim the fur between the dog’s toes.
It’s important not to forget to trim the fur between your goldendoodle’s toes. This area can be easily overlooked but it is important for your dog’s comfort that this fur be removed.
- If your dog is anxious, you may need to restrain it a bit to successfully trim this fur without hurting the dog.
Putting Finishing Touches on Your Goldendoodle
Trim the dog’s nails.
After you have cleaned up the fur on your goldendoodle’s feet, you should take the time to trim its nails as well. A dog’s nails need to be trimmed regularly, especially if it mostly walks around on a soft surface that doesn’t wear its nails down.
- A dog’s nails should be trimmed using a dog nail trimmer. They are available at all pet supply stores.You will want to hold the dog still while you are trimming its nails.When trimming the nail, don’t cut off very much. You want to avoid cutting into the quick, which is the blood vessel inside the nail.