Plant lemon grass in big pots for the patio… it repeals mosquitos and it grows tall & thick providing a lot of privacy
A versatile herb, lemongrass is prized in the kitchen and known for its medicinal properties. This plant gets its name and unique flavor from citral, the same chemical compound that gives lemon peels their invigorating scent. Sometimes mistakenly called citronella grass, Cymbopogon citratuslends its flavor to ethnic dishes, teas and more.
The Master Gardener Program at the University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension says that of the 55 species in the genus Cymbopogon, West Indian lemongrass (C. citratus) is what’s typically used for cooking. This variety can help repel insects, yet is also used to attract honey bees by mimicking the bees’ own pheromones. Other known uses for lemongrass include:
- natural diuretic
- calm the stomach
- break down fats
- stimulate perspiration
- treats colds
- balance the nervous system
- help with stress and exhaustion,
- soothe headaches and muscle pain
- increase circulation
- help with respiratory conditions, sore throats and high cholesterol
Lemongrass performs as a perennial in USDA zones 8 and warmer, loves full sun, and can handle intense heat as long as you don’t let its roots dry out. If given well-drained, rich soil, one clump of lemongrass can easily grow into a mound 3-plus feet tall and 6 feet wide, so choose your location well. I planted my 4-inch pot in a spot up by our pool, thinking it would look tropical and lend fragrance to sunbathing. It did, but by the end of summer, that little plant dominated the whole end of the garden bed!
Overwinter lemongrass in zones 1 to 7 by digging a clump of roots, trimming stalks to a few inches tall, and planting in pots. Lemongrass will fill the container you put it in, and root expansion can break a pot that’s too small pot, so start with one at least 12 inches diameter. Set the pot in a sunny spot indoors and keep barely moist, or store in a cool, dark place, watering just enough to keep the roots alive. Once night-time temperatures reach 40 degrees or above, transplant outdoors. Pests are virtually nil, though spider mites might invade when lemongrass is overwintered indoors.
Propagation is easy—if the lemongrass you buy from your grocery produce section contains the entire base, take a few sections before you’ve peeled them, place in a glass of water, and set it in a sunny location.Before too long, you’ll see little roots begin to sprout. When they’ve reached an inch or more in length, transplant into a pot or the sunny garden spot, water regularly and enjoy.
The first time I cooked with lemongrass, I neglected to research exactly what part to harvest. I just grabbed my kitchen shears, chopped off a nice handful of the arching leaves, washed them, cut to 1-inch lengths and threw them in my Tom Kha Gai soup. The flavor was incredible. However, the grass didn’t wilt into nice little edible shoots as I expected: It was tougher than celery strings and sharp on the edges.
Since then, I’ve learned that while the stems and leaves are great for infusing flavor into teas and broths, you’ll want to bundle them together so you can take them out later. It is the scallion-like base you’re after if you’re going to be eating lemongrass. When stem bases are at least 1/2 inch thick, you can pull or cut them off the main clump. Peel the outer layer to reveal the white inside part. Slicing is easier if you crush the base with the flat of your knife.
This inner stalk lends an Asian flavor to your stir-fry, and pizazz to salads and sauces, as well. Freeze leftovers in zipper-sealed bags, pre-sliced, or slice when partially thawed. Alternately, purée and use by the teaspoonful, freezing leftovers.
If you’re unable to use all the fresh leaves during the growing season, harvest a bunch to bundle, hang to dry, then store in tightly sealed containers. Dried lemongrass will remain potent for up to a year if not exposed to light. The dried leaves are great many of the same purposes you’d use the fresh leaves. Alternately, scatter grass stems around your patio, porch or pool to help ward off insects. Other uses for lemongrass include but are not limited to:
- adding interest and fragrance in flower arrangements
- new starts in pretty pots make fun housewarming gifts
- tinctures and balms for topical use
- inclusion in potpourri mixture or favorite teas
- feed for chickens
All in all, whether you eat it, drink it, apply it, smell it, or more, you’ll be hard put to find a plant as versatile and tasty. Maybe there’s a corner of your yard or garden waiting to host its own burst of lemongrass!
- Latin/Botanical Name: Cymbopogon citratus
- Origin: Egypt
- USDA Certified Organic
- Kosher Certified
- cGMP Compliant (current Good Manufacturing Practices)
- Cymbopogon flexuosus, or commonly referred to as Lemon Grass, is a tropical perennial that is a well-known herb for Asian foods and for other culinary uses. Our heirloom seeds are non-gmo.
- Lemon grass plants forms a clump, reaching 36 - 60 inches in height and 24 - 36 inches in width. It is very much like an ornamental grass with strap-like leaves reaching 36 inches and arching.
- This grass plant has a strong lemon aroma, and is used in making oil. It is used in fish and chicken dishes, soups and sauces, and in hot teas. It also is a natural mosquito repellent.
- These non-gmo plants prefer full sun to partial shade and well-drained soil. Space plants 36 - 48 inches apart. Lemon Grass will grow as an annual in cold areas. It also will do well planted in a container so that it can be brought indoors during the winter.
- Sowing rate: Sow 2 - 3 heirloom seeds per plant and start repelling mosquitoes or use for culinary purposes.
- AUTHENTIC FLAVOR - Your Thai Tom Kha and Tom Yum soups, curries, and many other Indonesian, Malaysian, Sri Lankan and Indian dishes will taste exactly like they do in your favorite restaurant when you use authentic ingredients without substitusions. Lemongrass tea will smell and taste fresh and vibrant!
- GROWN AND DRIED IN USA: Our lemongrass is grown in Florida where the subtropical to tropical climate is ideal. The fresh lemongrass is cut and dried IN HOUSE in small batches. Cut in convenient and easy to use 2-3 inch long slices. Due to low time between harvest and sale, our lemongrass smells and tastes fresh and vibrant! No tasteless, flavorless husks to be found here!
- PAIR IT WITH - For authentic Thai dishes, Dried Lemongrass pairs perfectly with Thai basil, Kaffir lime leaves, Galangal Root. Mix them all in Thai soups, vegan Asian inspired dishes, Thai Rice noodles, and much more!
- ALSO CALLED: Lemongrass, Cymbopogon citratus, (also spelled Lemon grass) has a variety of names across multiple languages. HERBE DE CITRON (French), ZITRONENGRAS (German), ERBA DI LIMONE (Italian), HIERBA DE LIMON (Spanish), BHUSTRINA (Sanskrit), SEREH (Indonesian), BAI MAK NAO (Lao), SERAI (Malaysian), HIERBA LUISA all refer to this wonderfully aromatic spice. Even in English lemongrass is called GERANIUM GRASS, COCHIN GRASS, CITRONELLA GRASS, BARBED WIRE GRASS and many more.
- 100% PURE 100% SATISFACTION - No additives, no preservatives. Kosher Certified by ORB. You will be completely satisfied with your purchase or you may contact us for a complete refund.
- Premium quality; extracted by steam distillation from the fresh or partly dried leaves; pure & natural, no additives; therapeutic grade; packaged in the USA
- Lemongrass oil has a lemony, sweet smell and watery viscosity
- SAFETY WARNING: For external use only. Other than aromatherapy, dilute with a carrier oil. For topical use, rub a very small amount on the inside of your elbow area to test for any allergic reaction before use. Keep out of the reach of pets. Essential oils can be potentially toxic to pets at certain concentrations. Cats can be especially sensitive to essential oils. Avoid contact with eyes, keep out of the reach of children. If pregnant, consult with your health care provider before use.
- Lemongrass essential oil blends well with basil, cedarwood, coriander, geranium, jasmine, lavender and tea tree oils
- Delivered with a premium quality glass dropper for ease-of-use
- 6 stalks of medium size fresh lemon grass
- Guaranteed to arrive fresh
- Keep in a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator
- 12 Stalks Fresh Lemongrass from TastePadThai
- Complimentary LOBO TOM YUM PASTE
- Premium Quality from TastePadThai. We guaranteed FRESH!
- Lemons grass
- 2. 5 ounces
- Add to beer or wine for additional flavor
- ADDED KAMUT & NATURAL LEMON FLAVOR: Grown on ancient sea beds enhancing trace minerals absorption.
- DOES NOT TASTE LIKE CUT GRASS: Has a smooth, lemon, rich satisfying flavor.
- VERY CONCENTRATED NUTRIENT: 1 teaspoon is equivalent to 8 shots of 100% pure raw wheat grass juice.
- CONTAINS TRACE MINERALS: 20 amino acids and plenty of nutrients. Amazing boost of healthy energy.
- COMMITTED TO SATISFACTION: If for any reason you're not happy with the results you experience within the first 30 days of taking (PRODUCT NAME), we're happy to give you a refund! Simply send us a message on Amazon. Refund will be processed as long as it is requested within 30 days of purchase, NO EXCEPTIONS. There is no need to return the product back to us! Note: SHIPPING COST IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Cymbopogon citratus also known as Lemongrass is an herb, which is well known and utilized for its distinct lemon flavor and citrusy aroma
- The health benefits of lemongrass include relief from stomach disorders, insomnia, respiratory disorders, fever, aches, infections, rheumatism and edema. Lemongrass also helps in maintaining optimum cholesterol levels, cellular health, nervous system, healthy skin and immune system.
- Lemongrass is also effective in treating type 2 diabetes, cancer, and obesity, while also aiding in detoxification. It is extensively used in aromatherapy and helps to combat fatigue, anxiety and body odor.
- Lemongrass is used as a natural insect repellant. It can prevent insect-borne diseases such as malaria, dengue and Lyme disease. Lemongrass can be made into oil easily to become a MOSQUITOES REPELLENT. This will be included in our INSTRUCTION.
- Nata Garden will ship you FIVE  BAREROOT LEMONGRASS LIVE PLANTS which might look like the second picture. We will also include 1 INSTRUCTION SHEET on HOW TO PLANT YOUR LEMONGRASS and WAYS TO USE IT. If you have any problems or questions, do not hesitate to contact us. We will IMMEDIATELY do everything we can to ENSURE that you have the BEST EXPERIENCE purchasing from us.
- GET BETTER RESULTS WITH SUN ESSENTIAL OILS - With what we believe to be superior sourced and harvested ingredients, we think you will agree that our oils are by far the most effective on the market - a wonderful smell that can't be beat!
- SUN PROVIDES THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS - Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but we believe our oils to be the best and will provide anyone who doesn't feel the same way with an unconditional manufacturer refund, anytime. We think you will feel that you have never smelled an oil this wonderful...and that after you have smelled this oil other brands may have a distinct alcohol or chemical smell with a 'dry' scent and noticeable lack of depth.
- IMPROVE YOUR MOOD AND ENERGY LEVELS - Fatigue and irritability are often a result of many factors that are difficult to pinpoint. Instead of guessing or taking unhealthy medicines or other toxins, clear your body and mind with the pure aroma-therapeutic scent of SUN ORGANIC. Nothing else compares - use it today so you can finally feel like your happy, energetic and vibrant self again. 100% REFUND GUARANTEE IF YOU DON'T LOVE THIS OIL!
- THERAPEUTIC GRADE ESSENTIAL OIL, SUPERIOR QUALITY for AROMATHERAPY, Bath, Massage, Candles, Hair, Stress, Relaxing, and Calming your body. High Quality and soothing fragrance.
- SUN ORGANIC makes the BEST quality PREMIUM Aromatherapy oils and has OVER 100 SCENTS.
- Grown in Ohio means a hardier plant! Check the shipping label to insure your plant was grown and shipped from Ohio. Your shipping label is your "Certificate of Authenticity"
- Slender Fountains of Lemony Freshness! Great for Asian dishes!
- Grow in containers so that the plant can be moved indoors during winter
- Immediate shipping in a Quart pot
- 9GreenBox Offers Live Plants - actual sizes and shape varies from pictures shown
- Decaffeinated - Import From East Indian
- Pleasant lemony notes - fresh and refreshing - resulting in a brew that is equal parts smoothness and zest
- Delicious to enjoy hot or cold
- Ingredient - Lemon Grass
- 2oz tea makes approx. 56 cups of 8oz of Water
You can try find out more about
How use lemon grass for the patio and your backyard