How use lemon grass for the patio and your backyard
Plant lemon grass in big pots for the patioβ¦ it repeals mosquitos and it grows tall & thick providing a lot of privacy
A versatile herb, lemongrass is prized in the kitchen and known for its medicinal properties. This plant gets its name and unique flavor from citral, the same chemical compound that gives lemon peels their invigorating scent. Sometimes mistakenly called citronella grass, Cymbopogon citratuslends its flavor to ethnic dishes, teas and more.
The Master Gardener Program at the University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension says that of the 55 species in the genus Cymbopogon, West Indian lemongrass (C. citratus) is whatβs typically used for cooking. This variety can help repel insects, yet is also used to attract honey bees by mimicking the beesβ own pheromones. Other known uses for lemongrass include:
- natural diuretic
- calm the stomach
- break down fats
- stimulate perspiration
- treats colds
- balance the nervous system
- help with stress and exhaustion,
- soothe headaches and muscle pain
- increase circulation
- help with respiratory conditions, sore throats and high cholesterol
Lemongrass performs as a perennial in USDA zones 8 and warmer, loves full sun, and can handle intense heat as long as you donβt let its roots dry out. If given well-drained, rich soil, one clump of lemongrass can easily grow into a mound 3-plus feet tall and 6 feet wide, so choose your location well. I planted my 4-inch pot in a spot up by our pool, thinking it would look tropical and lend fragrance to sunbathing. It did, but by the end of summer, that little plant dominated the whole end of the garden bed!
Overwinter lemongrass in zones 1 to 7 by digging a clump of roots, trimming stalks to a few inches tall, and planting in pots. Lemongrass will fill the container you put it in, and root expansion can break a pot thatβs too small pot, so start with one at least 12 inches diameter. Set the pot in a sunny spot indoors and keep barely moist, or store in a cool, dark place, watering just enough to keep the roots alive. Once night-time temperatures reach 40 degrees or above, transplant outdoors. Pests are virtually nil, though spider mites might invade when lemongrass is overwintered indoors.
Propagation is easyβif the lemongrass you buy from your grocery produce section contains the entire base, take a few sections before youβve peeled them, place in a glass of water, and set it in a sunny location.Before too long, youβll see little roots begin to sprout. When theyβve reached an inch or more in length, transplant into a pot or the sunny garden spot, water regularly and enjoy.
The first time I cooked with lemongrass, I neglected to research exactly what part to harvest. I just grabbed my kitchen shears, chopped off a nice handful of the arching leaves, washed them, cut to 1-inch lengths and threw them in my Tom Kha Gai soup. The flavor was incredible. However, the grass didnβt wilt into nice little edible shoots as I expected: It was tougher than celery strings and sharp on the edges.
Since then, Iβve learned that while the stems and leaves are great for infusing flavor into teas and broths, youβll want to bundle them together so you can take them out later. It is the scallion-like base youβre after if youβre going to be eating lemongrass. When stem bases are at least 1/2 inch thick, you can pull or cut them off the main clump. Peel the outer layer to reveal the white inside part. Slicing is easier if you crush the base with the flat of your knife.
This inner stalk lends an Asian flavor to your stir-fry, and pizazz to salads and sauces, as well. Freeze leftovers in zipper-sealed bags, pre-sliced, or slice when partially thawed. Alternately, pur?e and use by the teaspoonful, freezing leftovers.
If youβre unable to use all the fresh leaves during the growing season, harvest a bunch to bundle, hang to dry, then store in tightly sealed containers. Dried lemongrass will remain potent for up to a year if not exposed to light. The dried leaves are great many of the same purposes youβd use the fresh leaves. Alternately, scatter grass stems around your patio, porch or pool to help ward off insects. Other uses for lemongrass include but are not limited to:
- adding interest and fragrance in flower arrangements
- new starts in pretty pots make fun housewarming gifts
- tinctures and balms for topical use
- inclusion in potpourri mixture or favorite teas
- feed for chickens
All in all, whether you eat it, drink it, apply it, smell it, or more, youβll be hard put to find a plant as versatile and tasty. Maybe thereβs a corner of your yard or garden waiting to host its own burst of lemongrass!
Starwest Botanicals Organic Lemongrass C/S, 1 Poun...
Outsidepride Cymbopogon Lemon Grass Aromatic, Frag...
- Cymbopogon flexuosus, or commonly referred to as Lemon Grass, is a tropical perennial that is a well-known herb for Asian foods and for other culinary uses. Our heirloom seeds are non-gmo.
- Lemon grass plants forms a clump, reaching 36 β 60 inches in height and 24 β 36 inches in width. It is very much like an ornamental grass with strap-like leaves reaching 36 inches and arching.
- This grass plant has a strong lemon aroma, and is used in making oil. It is used in fish and chicken dishes, soups and sauces, and in hot teas.
- These non-gmo plants prefer full sun to partial shade and well-drained soil. Space plants 36 - 48 inches apart. Lemon Grass will grow as an annual in cold areas. It also will do well planted in a container so that it can be brought indoors during the winter.
- Sowing rate: Sow 2 - 3 heirloom seeds per plant to begin growing lemon grass.
Dried Sliced Lemongrass | 100% Pure - Perfect for ...
MAJESTIC PURE Lemongrass Essential Oil, Therapeuti...
- 100% Pure and Natural: Majestic Pure essential oils are 100% pure and natural, therapeutic grade oils. This means they are free from toxins, additives, or any nasty chemicals. Completely unfiltered and undiluted for the best result
- Refreshing Aromatherapy: A few drops of this citrusy fresh and earthy oil in your favourite diffuser will add a refreshing vibe in any atmosphere and help provide a stimulating and purifying experience unlike any other
- Feel Good Massage: Once mixed with a carrier oil for dilution, Majestic Pure Lemongrass essential oil can be enjoyed as a massage oil as well. Extremely relaxing and refreshing, this oil can help loosen up those tense muscles for good
- Diverse Uses: Carrier oils help this essential oil to mould itself into many different things. In fact, you can use it to make soaps, lotions, hair masks, toners, and much more
- Amber Glass Bottle & Premium Glass Dropper: Majestic Pure essential oils are packaged in Amber glass bottles to keep the harmful UV rays out. With it, comes our high quality convenient glass dropper which is easy to use and gives you the exact amount of oil you require
- High Quality Essential Oil for Ultimate Care: Using the best of ingredients with the best of practices not only ensures that our oils are of the highest quality, but Majestic Pure also ensures that they are perfect for your various self-care, aromatherapy and gifting requirements
6 Fresh Lemon Grass...
Lemongrass Fresh 12 Stalks from TastePadThai...
10 Lemongrass Pot not Included Each 4" Inch T...
Brewer's Best Brewing Herb's and Spices ...
Dr. Berg's Raw Wheatgrass Juice Powder (60 Se...
- π‘π’π§ ππ¨π¦π§ π πͺππππ§ ππ₯ππ¦π¦ π£π’πͺπππ₯ - Grown on ancient sea beds in Utah's west desert, with enhanced trace mineral absorption using a unique freeze drying method called BioActive Dehydration.
- π‘π’ ππ¨π§ ππ₯ππ¦π¦ π§ππ¦π§π - You'll notice the difference in this wheat grass juice powder by its deep green color, soothing taste, hint of lemon, and aromatic smell.
- ππ ππππ‘π π‘π¨π§π₯πππ‘π§π¦ ππ‘ π’π‘π π§πππ¦π£π’π’π‘ - One teaspoon of Raw Wheat Grass Juice Powder is roughly equivalent to 6-10 shots of wheatgrass juice or 1 tray (10 inches x 20 inches) of wheatgrass.
- π£π₯π’π π’π§ππ¦ πππ§π’π« & πͺπππππ§ ππ’π¦π¦ - Wheatgrass Powder, Lemon helps get rid of unwanted radicals in your body, supports digestion and absorption functions, and provides enzymes
- ππ’π π ππ§π§ππ π§π’ π¦ππ§ππ¦ππππ§ππ’π‘ - If for any reason you're not happy with the results you experience within the first 30 days, weβre happy to give you a refund! Simply send us a message. The refund will be processed as long as it is requested within 30 days of purchase. There is no need to return the product to us!
5 Lemongrass Plants 15"-20" TALL Non-GMO...
- Cymbopogon citratus also known as Lemongrass is an herb, which is well known and utilized for its distinct lemon flavor and citrusy aroma
- The health benefits of lemongrass include relief from stomach disorders, insomnia, respiratory disorders, fever, aches, infections, rheumatism and edema. Lemongrass also helps in maintaining optimum cholesterol levels, cellular health, nervous system, healthy skin and immune system.
- Lemongrass is also effective in treating type 2 diabetes, cancer, and obesity, while also aiding in detoxification. It is extensively used in aromatherapy and helps to combat fatigue, anxiety and body odor.
- Lemongrass is used as a natural insect repellant. It can prevent insect-borne diseases such as malaria, dengue and Lyme disease. Lemongrass can be made into oil easily to become a MOSQUITOES REPELLENT. This will be included in our INSTRUCTION.
- Nata Garden will ship you FIVE  BAREROOT LEMONGRASS LIVE PLANTS which might look like the second picture. We will also include 1 INSTRUCTION SHEET on HOW TO PLANT YOUR LEMONGRASS and WAYS TO USE IT. If you have any problems or questions, do not hesitate to contact us. We will IMMEDIATELY do everything we can to ENSURE that you have the BEST EXPERIENCE purchasing from us.
Sun Essential Oils 4oz - Lemongrass Essential Oil ...
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Lemon Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Lemon essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We tested 100s of samples to ensure every batch of Lemon oil smells amazing!
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops to homemade candles, soaps, lotions, or shampoos for a wonderful smelling homemade Lemon products.
- Sun Essentials Offers Lemon Oil in a Variety of Sizes - Get Lemon essential oil in 4 ounce, 8 ounce, and 16 ounce amber bottles. We also have a huge variety of scents and blends.
Ohio Grown Lemon Grass Plant - Cymbopogon - Also R...
- Grown in Ohio means a hardier plant! Check the shipping label to insure your plant was grown and shipped from Ohio. Your shipping label is your "Certificate of Authenticity"
- Slender Fountains of Lemony Freshness!
- Great for Asian dishes!
- Grow in containers so that the plant can be moved indoors during winter
- Immediate shipping in a Quart pot
Lemongrass Rootstalk (Cymbopogon Citratus) 2 Live ...
Chinese Tea Culture Lemon Green Tea, the aromas of...
- Caffeinated Green Tea
- Delicious to Enjoy Hot or Iced
- Ingredients: Green Tea, Lemon Peel, Lemon Grass, Natural Lemon Flavoring
- The aromas of infused green tea and tingling, fresh lemon complement one another perfectly. The select green tea base perfectly supports the tangy aroma. The added lemon flavor is responsible for a subtle sweetness that gives a real kick to this tea creation. Consumed either hot or cold, this tea has won many friends over the years and has become a real classic belonging in every green tea assortment.